By TOM BOWSER
NOTE: It's a good idea to create a duplicate playlist for any track or tracks you edit BEFORE you begin the editing process.
If you have duplicate track playlists you can go back to the original playlist if you make a mistake or don't like the results of editing you've done. You can use duplicate playlists as a reference to evaluate the changes you made to your edited tracks. Duplicate playlists can also be used when experimenting with new ideas and techniques on individual tracks or entire mixes.
Creating a duplicate playlist of one or more tracks prior to editing has similar advantages to creating a duplicate of a track or tracks. The advantages of using duplicate playlists over duplicating tracks include:
- You can create multiple playlists/takes of a track or tracks. Some versions of Pro Tools have a limit on the total number of active tracks you can have in a session.
- Multiple playlists consume fewer computer system resources than creating multiple duplicate, active tracks.
To create a duplicate "playlist" of one or more tracks:
- Press and hold down the Ctrl key then left click on the scribble strip/track name you want to select. The scribble strip will become selected (turn white). To select multiple tracks:
- Press and hold down the Ctrl key then left click on the scribble strip/track name you want to select.
- Press and hold down the SHIFT key and click on the scribble strip/track name of the last track of the group you want to select. All tracks including the tracks in between the first and last track you left clicked on will be selected.
- Press and hold down the Ctrl + Alt keys on your keyboard.
- Click on the small drop down arrow (playlist selector) to the right of the scribble strip/track name of any one of the selected tracks. See the image below.
- Select "Duplicate…" from the menu to create a duplicate of each selected track.
The new playlist version of each track becomes the default you see in the session. Each track you've created a new playlist for is automatically given a new name. You can rename them. (see image below)
To bring the original version of the track/playlist back into the session:
- Left click on the dropdown arrow playlist selector.
- Choose your original track/playlist name from the list.